Experience Azerbaijan, the unique and successful model of peaceful coexistence among people of different faith groups and cultural backgrounds!
You will learn how Muslims and Jews, Shiites and Sunnis live together in peace, harmony and dignity. Meet with dignitaries, religious leaders (including the Grand Mufti of the Caucasus who is the world’s only Shia-Sunni Grand Mufti), community members, and artisans. Tour the beautiful region — including Baku’s Old City and its cosmopolitan center, and follow the silk route as you visit the mountain communities of Sheki, Gabala, Oquz and Quba.
While in Baku, attend Jummah prayer at a mosque and Shabbat and Purim services at a synagogue. Participate in a master cooking class and savor the mouthwatering food of Azerbaijan, a blend of Eastern European and Middle Eastern flavors. Hurry and register before the trip fills up! THE TRIP IS NOW FULL. We are accepting a waiting list. Email sheryl@sosspeace to be put on the waiting list.
Highlights of the trip include:
- Meet with dignitaries, religious leaders and community members to learn about the success of Azerbaijan, the land of harmony
- Tour the modern city of Baku and the historic Old Town
- Visit historic palaces, the famous maiden tower, and picturesque mazes of alleys leading to incredible sites from history
- Visit the famous Heydar Aliyev Center and tour the “Pearls of Azerbaijan” and “Mini Azerbaijan” exhibits
- Visit the carpet museum and meet with artisans who specialize in the famous carpets of Azerbaijan
- Tour the Absheron Peninsula and visit the oldest oil producing fields
- Travel the silk route to the beautiful mountain towns of Sheki, Gabala and Oquz where you will visit ancient ruins, Sheki Khans’ palace and other historic sites
- Travel north of Baku in the northeastern mountain slopes to the historic city of Quba, visit architectural landmarks including the Juma-Mosque. Tour the area known as Red Village, one of the largest indigenous Jewish communities in the world
- Participate in a cooking class learning how to make traditional foods from Azerbajian
- Participate in the citywide festival, the Festival of Fire, which precedes Novruz, a traditional holiday in Azerbaijan, which celebrates the New Year and the coming of Spring.
- Stay at four star hotels
Lodging, three meals a day, and airfare included in the total trip cost of $2,100.
THE TRIP IS NOW FULL. We are accepting a waiting list. Email sheryl@sosspeace to be put on the waiting list. . For more information and a detailed itinerary, please email Sheryl Olitzky. For more information about Azerbaijan, please visit azerbaijan.travel.