From March 6-15, 2017 Sisterhood of Salaam Shalom® members experienced the unique and successful model of peaceful coexistence among people of different faith groups and cultural backgrounds in Azerbaijan!
Our group of women learned how Muslims and Jews, Shiites and Sunnis live together in peace, harmony and dignity. We met with dignitaries, religious leaders (including the Grand Mufti of the Caucasus who is the world’s only Shia-Sunni Grand Mufti), community members, and artisans. Our group toured the beautiful region — including Baku’s Old City and its cosmopolitan center, and followed the silk route as we visited the mountain communities of Sheki, Gabala, Oquz and Quba.
While in Baku, we attended Jummah prayer at a mosque and Shabbat and Purim services at a synagogue. We participated in a master cooking class and savored the mouthwatering food of Azerbaijan, a blend of Eastern European and Middle Eastern flavors.
Highlights of the trip included:
- Meeting with dignitaries, religious leaders and community members to learn about the success of Azerbaijan, the land of harmony
- Touring the modern city of Baku and the historic Old Town
- Visiting historic palaces, the famous maiden tower, and picturesque mazes of alleys leading to incredible sites from history
- Visiting the famous Heydar Aliyev Center and tour the “Pearls of Azerbaijan” and “Mini Azerbaijan” exhibits
- Visiting the carpet museum and meet with artisans who specialize in the famous carpets of Azerbaijan
- Touring the Absheron Peninsula and visit the oldest oil producing fields
- Traveling the silk route to the beautiful mountain towns of Sheki, Gabala and Oquz where you will visit ancient ruins, Sheki Khans’ palace and other historic sites
- Traveling north of Baku in the northeastern mountain slopes to the historic city of Quba, visit architectural landmarks including the Juma-Mosque. Tour the area known as Red Village, one of the largest indigenous Jewish communities in the world
- Participating in a cooking class learning how to make traditional foods from Azerbajian
- Participating in the citywide festival, the Festival of Fire, which precedes Novruz, a traditional holiday in Azerbaijan, which celebrates the New Year and the coming of Spring.
- Staying at four-star hotels
Lodging, three meals a day, and airfare included in the total trip cost of $2,100.
THE TRIP IS NOW FULL. We are accepting a waiting list. Email sheryl@sosspeace to be put on the waiting list. . For more information and a detailed itinerary, please email Sheryl Olitzky. For more information about Azerbaijan, please visit azerbaijan.travel.